This morning, Archbishop Ieronymos inspected the renovation of the buildings on Deinokratous Street.
Archbishop Ieronymos accompanied by Regional Governor of Attica Giorgos Patoulis visited the work site and were guided to the renovated buildings of the Church of Greece, while they were informed about the progress of the work and the time of implementation of the project.
The Archbishop expressed his joy for the progress of the work and for the cooperation of the Church with the Region, in order to utilize the specific area, while for his part Mr. Patoulis referred to the historical importance of the area and stressed that with the help of the Region it will become a spiritual space of letters and culture. “The Church has given a great supply of strength to all Greeks through her work. It is a great honor and joy for us to cooperate,” the Regional Governor said.
There are 14 buildings of the Church on Deinokratous Street, seven of which have been designated monuments and heritage preservation sites. They were built in 1877 on a plot of land granted by the Church and in the first years were used as facilities of the Greek Army, while from 1970 they returned to the ownership of the Church, where they were used, among other things, to house the ecclesiastical upper-high school.
Following their cooperation, the Region has undertaken to renovate three buildings that will house the Church library and the historical archive, while an exhibition space will be created, where various events can take place.
The project is expected to be completed in November 2020.