100 years ago, on September 23, 1923, the Greek Orthodox Parish of Charlotte was officially organized.
Today, the Cathedral and its community celebrates its centennial and growth. Beginning as a parish with only 30 families; today, the Church has a parish of over 1200 families.
The first Greeks settled in Charlotte around 1910. Initially, the group was only 20 individuals, but the group grew with the start of World War I to about 50 men, women, and children. In 1923, the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North and South America gave the parish its blessing to hold service and officially become a parish.
Still, without a building to worship, the first Church services were held at the Chamber of Commerce building. But as the community grew, eventually, the American Hellenic Educational Progressive Association (AHEPA) chapter rented an upstairs hall on East Trade Street for worship. The small parish began its mission of maintaining the religious and cultural qualities of the Greek people.
In 1929, the 50 families from the parish purchased the former Westminster Presbyterian Church. The Church was located on South Boulevard and was renovated with a Greek Orthodox sanctuary and was renamed Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church.
In 1951, the Holy Trinity community purchased The Jones Estate and Mansion – the property where the current cathedral stands now.
In 1954, the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral opened its doors at 600 East Boulevard in Dilworth.
The parish has grown from approximately 30 families in 1923 to more than 2,500 families in the Charlotte area today. Our ministries range from youth-related activities to education, athletics, service, liturgy, and much more.
On Saturday, September 23rd, close to 900 people will gather at The Revelry for the Centennial Gala celebrating the 100-year anniversary. In attendance will be four Hierarchs of the Orthodox Church – His Eminence Archbishop Elpidophoros – Archbishop of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, His Eminence Metropolitan Alexios of Atlanta – Metropolitan of the Metropolis of Atlanta (serving NC, SC, GA, AL, FL and parts of TN and MS), His Eminence Metropolitan Gregory of Nyssa, Metropolitan of the American Carpatho-Russian Diocese of America (and Charlotte native), and His Eminence Metropolitan Dimitrios of Xanthos. Also in attendance will be several, former clergy serving Holy Trinity plus the former Charlotte Mayor and Governor of the State of North Carolina, Pat McCrory, Mecklenburg County Sheriff Garry L. McFadden, and Mr. Giorgios Fostiropoulos, Consul of the Greek Embassy.
The weekend activities will conclude with a Hierarchical Divine Liturgy at Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral and a community luncheon celebrating the youth and future of the Greek community in Charlotte.
Photos: Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral