On May 7, 2023, Bucharest’s historical patriarchal cathedral dedicated to the Holy Emperors Constantine and Helen marked the 365th anniversary of its consecration.
In 1658, Patriarch Makarios of Antioch and All East led the consecration ceremony of the church founded by Wallachia’s ruler Constantin Serban Basarab, which initially served as a Catholicon for a monastery. Concelebrants for the consecration ceremony included the Metropolitan Stefan of Wallachia and the bishops of Ramnic and Buzau.
In 1665, the church was painted for the first time during the reign of Prince Radu Leon, who decided that the monastery would become a metropolitan residence for the Metropolitan of Wallachia in 1668.
In 1925, when the Romanian Orthodox Church was elevated to the patriarchal status, the metropolitan cathedral became a patriarchal cathedral.
Over time, the Patriarchal Cathedral was repaired several times, but after the restoration works in 1960-1962, it regained its original form.
The cathedral was built according to the architecture of Curtea de Arges Monastery, founded by Wallachia’s ruler Prince Saint Neagoe Basarab.
In 2008, new works of restoration and consolidation were undertaken, and 26 mosaic icons depicting Romanian saints were installed above the cathedral’s entrance.
After the works, on the feast of Saint Demetrius the Myrrh-gusher His Beatitude Patriarch Daniel performed the consecration service together with 34 members of the Holy Synod of the Romanian Orthodox Church, His Grace Bishop Epiphanios Ghattas Hazim, the delegate of Patriarch Ignatius IV of Antioch, priests, and deacons.
Photography courtesy of Basilica.ro / Raluca-Emanuela Ene