The Divine Liturgy was performed today in the Crypt of St. Victor of Marseilles, at the homonymous Church, which was founded as a monastery by Saint John Cassian.
A miraculous icon of the Presentation of Jesus at the Temple was found in the Crypt of Saint Victor in 1000 AD. and since then it has become customary to celebrate Divine Liturgy on the day of the feast.
Bishop Maximos of Melitene presided over the Divine Liturgy, accompanied by Archimandrites Ioakeim Tsopanoglou and Sebastian Garnier, Presbyter Jean Garigou and Deacon Chrysostomos Rey.
Saint Victor is one of the patron saints of Marseilles. The relics of Saint Victor and Saint John Cassian are kept in the Early Christian Church, among many other sacred relics.
These days thousands of pilgrims from all over southern France gather to pay their respects to the place of his martyrdom.
The Cross of Saint Apostle Andrew used to be kept in this church, which at the request of the Church of Greece was transferred to the Metropolis of Patras, and now it is kept in the Cathedral of Saint Andrew in Patras.
A Byzantine icon of the martyrdom of St. Andrew, which was donated by the Metropolis of Patras, was placed at the place of the Crypt where the Cross of Saint Andrew used to be.
Source: Metropolis of France