On Saturday 6 May, the Holy Metropolis of Pisidia celebrated according to the Julian calendar the Panegyry at the church of Saint George of the mountain in Alanya.
According to hagiographic tradition, when returning to Cappadocia after a victorious campaign, passing through the region of Antalya in Pamphylia, St. George the Victorious delivered the king’s daughter, who was given as food to a dragon, and killed the beast with supernatural power, which he drew from his faith.
The church of St. George in the mountains above Alanya was built according to the tradition at the place where he killed the dragon.
The existing temple, according to the inscription in front of its entrance, was built in 1873, but the original church was built presumably in the 8th century on the site of the appearance of St. George.
Since the 13th century, a monastery has been located near it. The church belongs to the Municipality which has given the authorisation to the parish of Alanya to hold services there once a month.
The Divine Liturgy of the panegyry was presided by His Eminence Metropolitan Job of Pisidia, in concelebration of the local clergy and in the presence of a large number of faithful.