By Dimitra Panagopoulou
With pomp and circumstance, the sacred icon of the Theotokos of Tikhvin, Russia, (an old copy of 1700) was received on Sunday at the Church of Agia Varvara in Attica.
In the presence of Metropolitan Theodoros of Ilioupoli, Metropolitan Athenagoras of Ilion, Bishop Christoforos of Andida, Metropolitan Antonios of Glyfada, Minister Counselor of the Russian Embassy in Greece Oleg Bredikhin, Mayor of Agia Varvara Georgios Kaplanis, the Holy Icon of the Virgin Mary was welcomed in Athens.
The Holy Icon of Our Lady of Tichvin was accompanied by the Bishop Agathangelos of Fanari. At the entrance of the pilgrimage of Saint Barbara, the Bishop Agathangelos of Fanari and Director General of the Apostoliki Diakonia of Greece thanked the Metropolitans, the clerics, the representative of the Chief of the Hellenic Air Force General Staff, Commander Demosthenis Pikridas, and the flock for the transfer of the Holy Icon.
Then the procession went for pilgrimage to the Church of Agia Varvara.