The annual feast of the historic Temple of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross in the community of Bournova in Smyrna, which is a community of the Holy Metropolis of the capital of the city of Ionia in Asia Minor, took place this year.
On the afternoon of Sunday, September 13, the Great Vesper of the feast was celebrated and was officiated by the Metropolitan Bartholomew of Smyrna, who preceded the Divine Liturgy of the feast. Before the completion of the Liturgy, Artoklasia (Blessing of the Five Loaves) and Trisagion were performed as well.
The church is located in Rodochorion (currently named Doğanlar) of Bournova and was built by the Metropolitan Chrysanthos of Smyrna in 1864, following the issuance of a High Decree which allowed its construction. The inauguration of the church took place in 1864. Rodochorion is three kilometers from the center of Bournova. The church was renovated in 2010 and the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew visited the temple in 2015 where, as a symbolic gesture, planted olive trees. Since then, the annual feast of the church is held every year after the issuance of the required approval by the competent authorities.