Patriarch Daniel of Romania on Sunday inaugurated three facilities at Cernica Monastery, including a memorial house of St George of Cernica and Caldarusani, a museum, and a refectory for pilgrims.
The persons who contributed to the restoration and modernization works received church distinctions as a sign of appreciation and gratitude from the Patriarch of Romania.
The spaces blessed on the fourth Sunday of Lent will become accessible to the public when the quarantine restrictions will be lifted.
Between 2019 and 2020, extensive renovation and endowment works were carried out at the monastery’s museum. A refectory for pilgrims was set up in the basement. The museum spaces were rearranged; alarm systems, display, and museum lighting were installed. On this occasion, the entire museum collection was reorganized.
The museum’s collection includes liturgical objects, icons, shrines, vestments, old books, documents, and manuscripts made by skilled monks. One of the important pieces of the collection is the Chrysobull (golden bull) issued on May 29, 1608, by ruler prince Radu Şerban, which strengthens the donations that Cernica Ştirbei gave to the monastery.
The building that became a Memorial House of Saint George of Cernica was built during the stewardship of St. George (1781-1806), in an Athonite style, as a place of retreat and tranquillity.
In 2020, the building went through restoration and endowment works.
The exhibits were rearranged to highlight the spiritual personality of the holy Elder George, but also the spiritual heritage of Saint Paisius Velichkovsky, brought by Elder George to Wallachia.